Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies {Gluten free}

 
 
A friend of mine posted a link on Facebook a while back for Secretly Healthy Chocolate Brownie Cookies, so of course I was intrigued and had to check it out. Especially since the author of the recipe claimed they were healthy enough to eat for breakfast. It turns out though that she and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to what is "healthy" I also discovered that this recipe had been slightly adapted several times by different people and the recipe actually originates here. What I also found interesting is that the original version was actually the healthiest and each time it was adapted it was made slightly worse.
 
Even though there are already multiple versions of this cookie floating around out there, I am going to add mine any way, because I think its pretty awesome. I also doubled the recipe because the original was really small.
 
2 Cans black beans rinsed and drained
1/4 C Almond Milk (skim milk would also work)
3 Tbs Natural Peanut Butter
1/4 Coconut Oil
2 C Packed Fresh Spinach (OF COURSE)
3/4 C Honey
1/2 C Cocoa Powder
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
6 Tbs Oat Flour (whole wheat would also work)
2 Tbs Ground Flax Meal
2 Tbs Quinoa Flakes (These are optional if you can't find them, but they add a good amount of protein and fiber. I get mine at our grocery store by the oat flour)
2/3 C Dark Chocolate Chips
 
Combine black beans, almond milk, peanut butter, coconut oil, and spinach in a food processor or high powered blender and process until smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the chocolate chips and process again until very smooth and mousse like (2-3 minutes) Stir in Chocolate chips.
 
spoon out about 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter for each cookie onto a cookie sheet and bake @ 375 degrees for 9 or 10 minutes.
 
Yields aproximately 2 dozen. Could be more if you make really small cookies.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


4 comments:

  1. These look super yum! I have been trying some healthy baking recipes and my kids love everything I have made but my picky husband keeps saying...it is not as good as your usual (fill in the name of butter and sugar filled treat). I am trying to help him understand that nothing tastes like real butter and sugar but there are some recipes out there that make healthy taste pretty dang good. I am going to try these and if me and the kids like them then they are a success...Seth doesn't count anymore. Thanks for sharing!

    Also, have you beeen to texanerin.com? She makes healthy baked goods and I made her chocolate zucchini bundt cake with ganache and her pumpkin pancakes and I really liked both of them. She has lots of other stuff I still need to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the website recomendation, Julie. I'm always looking for new recipes and ideas! Your so lucky that your kids are loving everything you make.

      Delete
  2. Sorry Sally, I just can't seem to make myself bake these. I'm sure they are good but I am having a hard time thinking of beans and spinach in my brownies. I do thank you for taking such good care of my son and grandkids. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those sound really good. beau and I tried healthy/clean eating for a while a few years ago. but, it seemed like too much work and was so expensive! but there a few things we gained from it like a love of spinach. overall we eat healthier now, but I really admire the people who can manage to eat like this all of the time! your recipes look really yummy!

    ReplyDelete